KANNAPOLIS- Work continues in Kannapolis on the Downtown Revitalization Project – the streetscape and infrastructure, and the sports and entertainment venue. Preliminary site work will begin this month on VIDA, the mixed-use district by the Lansing Melbourne Group.
The unique streetscape will serve as an urban linear park with many green spaces for activities such as concerts, arts, recreation activities, outdoor dining and more. The infrastructure project includes replacing aging and undersized utilities such as water, sewer, storm water and electricity. It is expected to be completed later this year.
The sports and entertainment venue will be the home of the Kannapolis Intimidators Minor League Baseball team and accommodate other events such as concerts. The venue will have conference and meeting space, a playground and more. The venue will open Spring 2020 in time for the baseball season.
VIDA will include apartments, a parking deck, restaurants and office space. It is expected to be completed by early 2021.
Work is happening on Vance Avenue, Oak Avenue, West Avenue, West B Street and West A Street. While there are street closures as part of the construction detours are clearly marked and access to businesses is easily identifiable.
Other work taking place in February/March (weather permitting):
- Vance Avenue - install of sidewalks and fire hydrants.
- Oak Avenue (Vance to West B) work will include curb and gutters, sidewalk pavers, retaining walls for raised planters.
- West B (Oak to Chestnut) construction includes completing stormwater and completing retaining walls, fine grading, layout of curb and gutters and asphalt stone base for the street.
- West B (Oak to West) – fine grading begins on the street, layout of curbs and asphalt stone base installation.
- West Avenue South (West B-Vance) – masonry for the raised planters and seat walls will be underway, curb and gutter installation, and concrete bands around parking areas will be added.
- West Avenue North (West B- West 1st) – sewer and stormwater lines will be completed, curb and gutters will be finished, and asphalt stone installed.
- Sports and Entertainment Venue construction is underway. Underground plumbing work, dugout and retaining walls are being constructed.
- VIDA Mixed Use District – Site preparation is underway with buildings, existing asphalt and concrete removal.
For more information on the Downtown Revitalization Project visit www.kannapolisnc.gov/revitalization