Kannapolis City Manager Mike Legg has been selected as a 2019 Most Admired CEP by the Charlotte Business Journal (CBJ).
The publication’s Most Admired CEO award program recognized established local leaders who have a strong vision for their companies, have shown commitment to culture in the workplace and have made significant contributions to the community.
New for this year, CBJ has selected a Lifetime Achievement honoree. That person is Dan DiMicco, chairman emeritus of Nucor Corp.
Though he left his post as CEO of the Charlotte-based steel giant at the end of 2013, its long-running strategy for growth and investment — of which he was a key architect — is paying off in a big way right now.
More recently, DiMicco has started a local angel investing fund with his son, Michael, and bought the Charlotte Independence soccer team. He also chairs the Coalition for a Prosperous America trade group, which he helped found, and he sits on the host committee for the 2020 Republican National Convention in Charlotte.
In addition to DiMicco and Legg, other leaders will be recognized across 18 industry categories.
Those individuals will join the high-profile CEOs of the inaugural 2018 class in receiving this award — think LendingTree's Doug Lebda, Michael Praeger of AvidXchange, Theresa Drew of Deloitte and Jeffrey Brown of Ally Financial.
Nominations for this program were open to the public and came from members of the business community, within the honorees' organizations and externally. The CBJ editorial team selected honorees to recognize within each industry category.
Here are the 2019 honorees, listed in alphabetical order by category:
- Malcomb Coley, EY
Banks & Credit Unions
- Phil Jurney, Paragon Bank, a Division of Townebank
- Bill Partin, Sharonview Federal Credit Union
Commercial Real Estate
- Clay Grubb, Grubb Properties
- Harold “Skip” Tuttle, The Tuttle Co.
- Pamela Davies, Queens University of Charlotte
- Philip Dubois, UNC Charlotte
Engineers, Contractors & Architects
- Phil Kuttner, Little
- Eric Laster, Edifice Inc.
- Trent Haston, The Roby Family of Cos.
- Tom Onsrud, C.R. Onsrud Inc.
- Kevin Brungardt, RoundPoint Mortgage Servicing Corp.
- Timothy Flanagan, MassMutual Carolinas
- Susan DeVore, Premier Inc.
- Jag Gill, Charlotte Eye Ear Nose & Throat Associates
- Mike Legg, City of Kannapolis
- John Lewis, Charlotte Area Transit System
Manufacturing & Distribution
- Eddie Edwards, CommScope Inc.
- Stuart Schuette, American Tire Distributors
Marketing & Advertising
- Jennifer Appleby, Wray Ward
- Mike Boykin, Bespoke Sports & Entertainment
- Laura Belcher, Habitat for Humanity Charlotte
- Sarah Cherne, Junior Achievement of Central Carolinas
- Linda P. Hudson, The Cardea Group
- Stephanie Sadowski, Accenture
- Luke Kissam, Albemarle Corp.
- Marc Michael, SPX Flow Inc.
Residential Real Estate
- Dan Cottingham, Cottingham Chalk
- Abigail Jennings, Lake Norman Realty
Restaurants & Food Service
- Dan Beem, Hissho Sushi
- Patrick Whalen, 5Church Inc.
Sports, Entertainment & Tourism
- Dave Parsons, Carolina Motor Club Inc. (AAA Carolinas)
- Fred Whitfield, Hornets Sports & Entertainment
- Abhishek Mehta, Tresata
- Jim Sankey, InVue
Details will be provided soon on an event to celebrate this year's class.